Friday, May 31, 2013

Contagious Kindness

Random Acts of Kindness

I had a hard time thinking about what to write for the Random Acts of Kindness Blogfest that pertained to my blog. Then I considered writing about kind acts within some movies I have watched. But, then it hit me! I should write about the 'make over' shows that really help people.
I guess the show that kicked off this experience for me was Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (2003-2012). This show took needing homes and transformed them over a short period of time, while the home residence were sent away on a mini-vacation. Watching this show always made tears of joy in my eyes and would always reaffirm that there were good people in the world and that they were able to do for others. This really hit home for me because a lot of the episodes helped families with special needs children or family members. Having a son with multiple disabilities and challenges, I can relate to the frustrations that the families were living with. 
Another show that I really enjoy watching is Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares (2004). Thanks to Netflix, I was able to watch both the US and UK versions. I prefer the UK because the language was not 'bleeped' out. I think Gordon Ramsay might get a bad rap because of his other show, Hell's Kitchen (2005). There he seems to be constantly yelling and screaming at people. Through watching his programs though, I have learned he does this because he has a passion about food and his art of combining fresh ingredients and high standard of serving. I love watching Kitchen Nightmares, because he helps restaurants that are in trouble. Through his acts of kindness, they not only transform the individuals or staff, but the decor as well. You can see how appreciative people are for his help, and it helped me to see him in a different way - not an arrogant (you know what) that he sometimes can be portrayed as being.
There are many reality shows that help the less fortunate. These are great programs that I think more people should watch - instead of the arguing, no-class, productions that seem to be more popular these days. If more people filled their life with the positive reality shows, I think it would be more beneficial to our society. But, that is just my thought for the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comment here. We look forward to hearing from you!