Friday, April 11, 2014

A to Z Challenge - J

Top 10 Favorite "J" Movies


Adult Movies

JFK (1991)

Kevin Costner portrays a New Orleans District Attorney who investigates the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. They discover that there's much more to the event than previously imagined. What I loved about this movie, besides the excellent assembly of actors, was that it brought more attention to the assassination and the concept that this should never be forgotten. It's a powerful film.

Jersey Girl (2004)

There are two movies with this title, I enjoy both of them, but when trying to decide which to put into the list I asked myself which would I prefer to watch. This has Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez as a couple expecting their first child. After the birth, things take a turn for the worst and Jennifer's character passes away. Now, Ollie Trinke (Ben Affleck) has to raise their daughter. It's such a touching story, you want to hate Ollie, but by the end of the movie you love the family and friends and want to continue watching more.

Jerry Maguire (1996)

This is a classic "You had me at hello" film. Tom Cruise is Jerry Maguire, a big time sports agent competing in a big time firm. When he has an epiphany and decides to leave the firm, his life changes forever. He meets Dorothy Byrd (Renee Zelwegger) from the firm and she follows him on his new endeavor. Her loyalty and her son seem to captivate the struggling Maguire as he grips onto the only client that decides to stay with him as they reach their dreams.

Juno (2007)

Juno stars the very talented Ellen Page as a teen experiencing an unplanned pregnancy and her journey. This assemble also includes Michael Cera, J.K. Simmns, Allison Janney, Jason Bateman, and Jennifer Garner. It's fun and quirky and full of talent and charisma.

Jewel of the Nile, The (1985)

I remember watching this movie when I was younger with my family, we loved it then, and we love it still to this day. This movie is a classic! Starring Kathleen Turner as a well known recluse author who received a message that her sister's been kidnapped, and now it's up to her to save her. She embarks on a cross-country adventure to not only save her sister, but herself. It also stars Michael Douglas and Danny DeVito, if you haven't watched it, check it out.

Joe Versus the Volcano (1990)

Honestly, the first time I watched this movie I didn't think much of it. I didn't truly appreciate this great movie until I was older and could relate more to the hum-drum life of a working class stiff. In Joe Versus the Volcano Tom Hanks plays the working class stiff, he's suffering through the monotony. When he visits a doctor who diagnoses him with a rare terminal disease, Joe (Tom Hanks) decides to finally live and goes on his adventure of a lifetime.

Jane Eyre (1943)

In another post of mine, in a different blog, I wrote about the more modern rendition of Jane Eyre (click here for post) that I love as well. However, this was the first depiction that I ever saw and still love it to this day. I think this version has a way of portraying more thrilling mystery. Plus, it includes Orson Welles and Joan Fontaine. 

Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back (2001)

This movie might not be for everybody, but it's a movie that got me through a very dark time in my life. My son had been in the hospital, it was a very stressful and heart breaking time in our lives. I stayed with my son during his stay in the hospital, but when other family would visit I was forced to go home and rest. The only way I could ease my mind while I was home, I would pop my dvd of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back in the t.v. and soon enough I was laughing and escaping reality. It's hilarious but some might not appreciate the crude humor - so beware.

Jaws (1975)

Who hasn't seen Jaws? This movie created the couple notes that would be associated with the sharks presence, everyone now knows these notes and when we hear them our bodies immediately respond. This is also the movie that made me more hesitant to go swimming in the ocean. One of my favorite and best known quotes "We're going to need a bigger boat".

Jurassic Park (1993)

I remember the first time I watched Jurassic Park at our local drive-in theater, that has since closed. It was great watching it outdoors and on a huge screen. I was captivated from the get-go with this masterpiece. It's not only an amazing movie, but it's one that I can watch over-and-over again. Whenever it's on t.v. I will definitely watch it.


Kids Section


Joyful Noise (2012)

Jack Frost (1998)

John Carter (2012)

Jumanji (1995)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comment here. We look forward to hearing from you!